The Boy Scouts of America offer a sustainability merit badge as part of the their program for Scouts. It is designed to teach Scouts about the important of sustainability and how they can make a difference in promoting a sustainable society. This article outlines what the requirements for the badge are as well as a worksheet for Scouts to fill out as they complete the requirements.
- Describe the meaning of sustainability.
- Explain the three principles of sustainability.
- Explain the four elements of sustainability.
- Discuss how applying sustainability can lead to a healthier environment.
- Explain how working towards sustainability can help reduce poverty.
- Describe two primary components of sustainable agriculture.
- Research and prepare a presentation about the effects of climate change.
- Find two examples of renewable resources and explain how they are used in everyday life.
- Create a plan to reduce, reuse, and recycle materials in your home and school.
- Explain the concept of sustainable development.
- Discuss the importance of environmental awareness and responsible consumption.
This worksheet is designed to help Scouts keep track of their progress as they work to earn the Sustainability Merit Badge. After completing the requirements listed above, Scouts should fill out this worksheet and submit it to their Scout Leader for approval before being awarded the merit badge.
Note: this worksheet should be printed out and filled in with pen or pencil.
|Describe the meaning of sustainability.|
|Explain the three principles of sustainability.|
|Explain the four elements of sustainability.|
|Discuss how applying sustainability can lead to a healthier environment.|
|Explain how working towards sustainability can help reduce poverty.|
|Describe two primary components of sustainable agriculture.|
|Research and prepare a presentation about the effects of climate change.|
|Find two examples of renewable resources and explain how they are used in everyday life.|
|Create a plan to reduce, reuse, and recycle materials in your home and school.|
|Explain the concept of sustainable development.|
|Discuss the importance of environmental awareness and responsible consumption.|
The Sustainability Merit Badge is a great way to give Scouts the knowledge and skills necessary to be an advocate for sustainability. By completing the requirements and filling out the worksheet, Scouts will have a greater understanding of sustainability and how to promote it in their everyday lives.