The Indian Lore Merit Badge is a badge that is earned by Scouts to recognize their study and understanding of Native American cultures. The badge provides Scouts with an opportunity to explore historical and current traditions, stories, and more related to Native American culture.
- Explain what courtesy and respect mean to you in your own words.
- Describe three things you have learned about Native American culture.
- Visit a museum, cultural center, or school that focuses on Native American culture.
- Describe what you learned in your visit.
- Do one of the following:
- Help organize an event or activity that celebrates Native American culture.
- Attend an event or activity that celebrates Native American culture and share what you learned with your Scout leader or other Scouts.
Use this worksheet to help you meet the requirements for earning the Indian Lore Merit Badge:
Courtesy and Respect
I define courtesy and respect as treating people with kindness, politeness, and consideration. It means being mindful of others’ feelings and having an understanding of their culture and traditions.
Native American Culture
I have learned about the many different Native American cultures, their traditions, and beliefs. I have learned about the importance of nature in native cultures and the respect and reverence for the land. I have also learned about the spiritual significance of art and the oral tradition.
Visit to a Museum or Cultural Center
I visited a local museum or cultural center that focuses on Native American culture. I learned about the history and current status of many tribes, their religions, languages, dwellings, clothing, and food. I also saw artifacts from different Native American cultures.
Event or Activity Celebrating Native American Culture
I attended an event or activity that celebrates Native American culture and shared what I learned with my Scout leader or other Scouts. The event included cultural performances, sharing of stories, and educational sessions that taught me more about Native American traditions and beliefs. I also learned about the importance of preserving Native American culture and traditions.
By completing these requirements, I have earned the Indian Lore Merit Badge.