Fly Fishing Merit Badge (Worksheet & Requirements)
Fly fishing is a centuries-old way of life that has been passed down from generation to generation. As rewarding and thrilling as it is to catch a fish with a fly, learning the skills you need to be successful in this sport is even more rewarding.
That’s why, through the Scouting program, Boy Scouts have the opportunity to earn the Fly Fishing merit badge! In this guide, we’ll cover the worksheet and requirements you need to complete to earn this merit badge.
The first step to earning the Fly Fishing merit badge is to complete a worksheet. This worksheet includes a summary of the requirements for the badge, but also quizzes, diagrams, and other activities. You can find the worksheet here.
Once you’ve completed the worksheet, you’ll move on to the requirements. Bear in mind that some of these requirements might be tough, so it’s important to plan ahead, stay patient, and be prepared to put in the work.
The requirements for the Fly Fishing merit badge are as follows:
- Discuss with your counselor the principles of physical fitness and the importance of good health.
- Discuss with your counselor the principles of stream and lake ecology, and how people can have an impact on them.
- Describe to your counselor the types of equipment and flies used in fly-fishing.
- Describe to your counselor the safety practices for fishing from a boat, the shore, and on a dock.
- Discuss with your counselor the rules and regulations for fishing in your state or local community.
- Demonstrate with basic fly-tying techniques.
- Catch a fish using a fly-fishing method.
- Identify 10 species of warm-water or cold-water game fish native to North America.
Earning the Fly Fishing merit badge is both an exciting and rewarding experience. After completing the worksheet and the requirements, you’ll have a newfound appreciation for the sport of fly fishing and the skills you need to be successful.
Good luck on your journey to becoming a fly fishing expert!