The Athletics merit badge helps Scouts increase their physical fitness and build lifelong habits of healthy leisure-time activities. Scouts who earn this merit badge will understand the importance of and develop a plan for physical fitness and demonstrate an ability to engage in a variety of physical activities. They will also identify potential hazards in activities, choose appropriate clothing and equipment, and recognize the importance of respect when participating in physical contests.
- Explain the importance of physical fitness for you, your family, and your community.
- Describe the benefits of physical activity.
- List ways to improve your physical fitness.
- Explain the physical and non-physical benefits of physical activity.
- Make a plan to stay physically fit. Your plan should include:
- two physical activities you enjoy
- a schedule of when you will do these activities
- steps to prevent common injuries related to these activities
- Do the physical activities outlined in your plan for at least two weeks and document your progress.
- Explain the importance of safety when participating in physical activities.
- Describe the four components of physical fitness.
- Describe how you can improve each of the four components of physical fitness.
- Describe the importance of setting physical activity goals.
- Explain the importance of choosing an activity you enjoy.
- Describe the importance of proper clothing and equipment for the physical activity you chose.
- Describe the importance of hygiene when participating in physical activities.
- Describe the importance of respect when participating in physical activities.
Click here to view and download the Athletics merit badge worksheet.