Place The Following Statements In The Correct Order For An Action Potential To Be Generated
Action potentials are generated when neurons transmits signals in the form of electric pulses. In order for an action potential to be generated, electrical signals must travel down the neuron’s axon in a specific order. The following steps must occur for an action potential to be generated:
- Resting Potential – Electrically charged ions must first be in an equilibrium state (i.e a resting potential) before the action potential can be generated.
- Depolarization – The resting potential will be disrupted by an external stimulus, resulting in depolarization of the cell membrane.
- Threshold of Excitation – The depolarization must reach a certain threshold in order to trigger an action potential.
- Generation of Action Potential – An action potential is generated once the threshold of excitation is reached.
- Propagation of Action Potential – The action potential is propagated down the axon, resulting in an electrical pulse being generated.
- Repolarization – The cell membrane will eventually repolarize, resulting in the restoration of the resting potential.
An action potential is a complex process that requires the electrical signals to travel in a specific order. While this list of steps is not exhaustive, it outlines the major steps of an action potential.