The Family Life Merit Badge provides Scouts an opportunity to explore and understand the dynamics of family life. It covers topics such as marriage, parenting, communication, teamwork, and family finance. Scouts that earn the merit badge will gain the essential knowledge needed to create a happy and healthy family life.
Family Life Merit Badge Requirements
Scouts must meet these requirements to earn the Family Life Merit Badge:
- Discuss with your counselor an outline of what a family is.
- List several reasons why you think family life is important.
- List several duties and responsibilities each family member should have.
- Research your family tree. Create a chart/illustration of your results and share it with your counselor.
- Discuss the importance of honest, open communication.
- Discuss the importance of understanding and showing respect in your family.
- Discuss the different types of marriage and how to make a marriage successful.
- Discuss the importance of families worshipping and praying together.
- Discuss the different roles and responsibilities of parenting.
- Discuss the effect of peer pressure on family life.
- Discuss the effects of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol on family life.
- Discuss with your counselor a personal financial plan.
- Discuss with your counselor the importance of family recreation.
- Discuss with your counselor how to handle conflict within the family.
Family Life Merit Badge Worksheet
Complete the Family Life Merit Badge worksheet to help track your progress while working on the Family Life Merit Badge.
For additional information on earning the Family Life Merit Badge, visit these online resources: