Overview of Whitewater Merit Badge
The Whitewater Merit Badge is one of the Boy Scouts of America’s most exciting and adventurous merit badges. It involves paddling a canoe or kayak on whitewater rivers, and is a great way for Scouts to learn and practice safety, paddling technique, scouting skills, and river navigation. Scouts must complete a series of tasks and activities in order to earn the Whitewater Merit Badge.
Requirements for the Whitewater Merit Badge
- Earn the Canoeing Merit Badge if you will be using a canoe to earn this merit badge.
- Choose a whitewater river that is appropriate for your skill level, and research the river and its hazards.
- Spend one hour developing your paddling skills in a pool or on still water.
- Dress properly for whitewater conditions, and discuss the importance of proper clothing.
- Identify the types of whitewater boats and explain their uses and components.
- Discuss the safety and rescue activities commonly used in whitewater paddling.
- Discuss the essential items needed for a whitewater trip.
- On a whitewater trip, demonstrate the use of a bow draw, stern draw, and sweep stroke.
- Practice the wet exit procedure in whitewater and demonstrate river-reading skills.
- Correctly identify and navigate through Class I, II, and III whitewater rapids.
- Demonstrate the use of a throw bag.
- Discuss the importance of Leave No Trace principles in the whitewater environment.
Whitewater Merit Badge Worksheet
Scouts can use the Whitewater Merit Badge Worksheet to help organize their thoughts and prepare for their whitewater adventure. This worksheet includes the official requirements for the merit badge, as well as helpful tips and resources for Scouts to use. It’s important that Scouts complete the worksheet before their whitewater trip, as this will ensure that they are prepared and have a successful experience.
The Whitewater Merit Badge is a great way for Scouts to challenge themselves while having a thrilling adventure. Scouts must complete a series of tasks and activities in order to earn the merit badge. For success, it is recommended that Scouts use the Whitewater Merit Badge Worksheet to help organize their thoughts and prepare for their whitewater excursion.